Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stairmaster from Hell


So in a desperate bid to get my body into bikini beach mode, last week I decided to finally attempt the legendary Grouse Grind. Now the sad part is that although I have skinny legs and arms all the weight that I gain goes straight to my abs...or lack of abs. The problem with me is that I pig out during the winter months cuz it's not like you are going to be walking around in a bikini in the snow. But as soon as the sun appears I'm in big trouble! But yea I thought hey the grind sounds like a great way to kick my butt into action.

Now I have heard horror stories from people before saying that at each point it gets steeper and steeper and more elevated, but I choose to ignore all of these warnings because I didn't think it could be that bad. I went with my boyfriend who is pretty fit and had done it a couple of times and I was actually excited. Or I guess what I thought was excitement was actually sheer terror at the prospect of climbing up a freaking mountain. At first I was doing fine following my boyfriend, but I'm sad to say that only lasted for 10 minutes! =(



Feeling horrible I told my boyfriend to go on without me because he kept waiting for me and I felt horrible that I was holding him back...so off he disappeared into the dense forest. He also left me with his Gatorade since I forgot to bring water leaving him with nothing to drink (Now that's what I call love!). I also thought I was going crazy because everytime I saw a white shirt in the distance I would think that it was him and I would have this crazy hope that somehow almost miraculously I managed to catch up to him, but it was just someone else wearing white.


Now the Grouse Grind is affectionately nicknamed "Mother Nature’s Stairmaster" but I think it really should be called the "Stairmaster from Hell"! I mean when you are hitting the stairmaster at the gym do you also have to worry about mosquitos and weird staircases? No! So with every step I thought for sure I was close to the end, so imagine my dread when I realized that I was only done 1/4 of it and that I still had a long ways to go.

Long story short after countless muddy steps, being passed by people twice my age and many many gatorade breaks I finally made my way to the top only to be greeted by the sight of my boyfriend on a big rock at the top. He was nice enough to wait half an hour being devoured by mosquitoes so that he could witness my victory!

I think my boyfriend must be addicted to it or something since he went three times in the past two days and I'm sure he'll be dragging my sorry butt to do it with him again. Hopefully I will beat my time which was an hour and 25 minutes and fyi he did it in 52 minutes. All I can say is that I'm happy that I least beat the average! =)

Here is some information about what I had to contend with!

Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles)
Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)
- Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)
- Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)
- Total Stairs: 2,830
Statistics: Annually, over 100,000 people hike the Grind™.
Average Time: On average it takes up to an hour and a half to complete the hike.
For novice hikers, up to two hours is recommended.












So do you guys have anything that is like the grind in your city? If not what other ways do you get bikini body ready?

6 comments:

Ann On and On... said...

We have stairs from hell too, but not quite a difficult. It would be fun to challenge myself once... Rock on for trying it!

The Giveaway Diva said...

aww thanks so much ann! I think I need to really do it again and beat my time!

Being Tazim said...

cool - didn't know you also lived in Vancouver! :) I refuse to do the Grind. I have bad knees and don't do stairs well...plus I prefer a real hike with a better view. I hate that so many people in this city are so fit looking, though. :(

fredamans said...

That's the kind of place I would hike on! Great shots!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Way to go! I would love to have something like that near me. All my walks are done on flat surfaces since FL has no hills let alone mountains! I take full advantage of of the hiking trails when I visit my family who live in ME, CT, AZ & WA.

~ Tracy

The Giveaway Diva said...

yea it's such a great thing to have because once you reach a certain point there is no turning back! Either you keep going forward or you bust up your knees! ahha it's kinda like a forced workout!